When I first published Creepspace: The Witch Game, I also did the cover art and, at the time, it was the best I could do. But that cover didn’t entice the right age group (ages 8 – 12). It did seem to appeal to kids in the 4 – 6 age range, but they’re too young for the book.
So I finally dove in and redesigned the cover. Thanks to people like Timothée Giet and David Revoy, I was able to find my way around the awesome open source painting program known as Krita. I still used my old stalwarts, GIMP and Inkscape, for image processing and text/pdf layout, repsectively, but I have to say that I really enjoyed painting with Krita and I look forward to getting better at it.
Anyway, I hope this new cover appeals more to the kids who might read the book. I’ve already started on a second book in the Creepspace anthology series which I hope to have out early next year, time permitting.
This post is actually kind of momentous though it may not seem like much. First, the not so important part: I did some testing in Flash to see how I might be able to get decent line quality using Flash as a frame-by-frame animation tool. It’s okay, I guess, though the underlying drawing is kind of sucky. On the second head, I experimented with using blurs on some elements.
But the cool part is the image below. For this one, I was testing the idea of inking and painting in Gimp over a camera shot of a penciled image (the same image in this post, also not a great underlying drawing but good enough for test purposes). I really like both how this turned out and the process. My next step is to try it on a short animated sequence to see if line quality holds up under those circumstances. If that works, then I think I’ve finally found my pipe line for hand-drawn animation. 🙂